We all know the bad news … the good news for the Japanese is that their thyroid glands might be full of natural iodine due to their seafood-rich diets, giving them natural protection against thyroid gland cancer.
If you don’t want to panic and run for iodine pills that might cause you more harm in singular concentrations … head for foods that contain natural iodine.
I’d suggest using your multi-vitamin to be sure you have adequate amounts of Vitamin A, Vitamin E, zinc and iron so that the iodine will absorb adequately.
General food sources would be:
- kelp or nori (quarter cup can contain u to mcg of iodine)
- three ounces of cod contains 99 mcg of iodine, while common fish sticks in the store might only have 35 mcg/
- sea bass
- one cup of milk provides 110 mcg of iodine, but brands can vary
- frozen yogurt
- ice cream
- iodized table salt, one gram gives 77 mcg of iodine
- bread … one slice can contain 587 mcg per slice, but the amounts have declined recently.
- medium baked potato contains 60 mcg of iodine
- a half cup of navy beans contains 32 grams of iodine
- soy products
- a large egg contains 12 mcg of iodine
- 3 ounces of turkey breast contains 34 mcg of iodine.
These sources are from Livestrong.com.
This is a really quick post to let you know that there’s something you can do to
be proactive about your health. Of course, there will be lots of other things to do to avoid exposure (dump pools of water) – if it’s actually a problem.
God bless, and take care.