Updated August 10th …
By the time I saw her, she was sitting on the floor and wimpering – her back was reddish with white welts and she was holding her heart as if she was having a panic attack. Since she has an allergy to mosquito bites, I wisked her off to an emergency and had a nice wait.
If stung by a jellyfish, use VINEGAR to neutralize the area and do NOT go into a shower. The fresh water will ACTIVATE the NEUROTOXINS, sending the toxins into the body where the tentacles were on the skin.
He put a cream on the area, covered with a gel bandage and off she went. He said the worse thing was probably her fear of the event, which did trigger a slight panic attack.
- try to stay calm
- don’t go into a shower or rinse with tap water
- DO put vinegar over any area that might have been affected
- if you do use ice, be sure it doesn’t melt onto the skin – use a ice pack over a cloth
Strange thing is … there are lots of us (including children) in the same waters much more often and we haven’t been stung, so you can’t allow this possibility ruin a great time.